Friday, May 06, 2005

The Opera

I didn’t think I was the type to go to the opera until now. Last nights performance was just fabulous! The Tales of Hoffman was better then the other two that I have seen. I think I am having an addiction finally! Opera has some humor in which I have never new before. This was only my third show. It took the The Tales of Hoffman to convince me. It did show that “Catholic guilt thing” at the end. The you screwed up but everything will be good again and you are forgiven…yada, yada, yada.

At first I thought, “When we were asked by an acquaintance to go to the opera.” “OH NO!!!” This is going to be worse then having to watch The Lawrence Welk show with grandma! I guess I am getting old because the sets dazzled me as well as the costumes. Thank God for the reader board so that you know what is going on!

The trip back stage after each performance to meet all the divas / baritones was enough to hook you. I found out that all in the arts are not Liberal either! They are so much fun and nothing like a snob at all!!! (This is what really hooked me.) They were all fine human beings and not stuck up like actors seam to be. I got hugs and hand shakes (not the wimpy limp handshake either!) A picture was even taken with one of them! I need to get that picture somehow. I guess I’ll ask. The spouses were just as nice that were back stage. They were joking how their spouse would perform over and over in the bathroom or in the kitchen…etc.

The first one I saw was done by an Italian. This Italian did the opera in French. Like I said thank God for the reader board! Now I don’t care what language they are in. I did take a semester of language however I don’t think it sounds the same when singing. So I don’t think it would have helped me.

Anyway what a wonderful experience once again and if you are in Seattle you must check out the new McCaw Hall.

No comments: