Saturday, October 07, 2006

Squash out Censorship!

Did I tell you all how much I love this time of year? Well I do and I do love Squash!

I just got up this morning to a nice sunny day. We had a full moon out last night that lit the entire back yard. The deck was a glow and I stayed up a bit to watch the fire in the fireplace go out. I thought of my day and this week how inspired I was to start painting again. I probably will not sell my work, but never the less a self kind of gratification.

Low and behold with my entire tiff lately on the war and backing freedom here is an email from Diane of all people! She just finished an art show in Chicago. She sent me this:

Fellow Bloggers,

Subject: Amir Normandi, Ramadan Postcard - Art Event.

Even in the Age of Information, it would seem that not all information is created equal: the closure of a successful 3-year-old production of Mozart's opera 'Idomeneo' because, said Berlin police, it posed 'incalculable risk' of inciting Islamic fundamentalists to violence is a stark reminder that censorship throbs with power while the lifeblood of art is wrung dry. Last year, outrage from Muslim students led Harper College, located just outside Chicago, to remove an exhibition of works by Amir Normandi depicting the oppression women suffer in many Islamic countries. Partly in response, Normandi, himself an Iranian-born Muslim, has curated a new exhibition of works Dianeby local and international artists, 'Desire No Shackles/ Imagine No Borders', to examine oppression and the notion of borders in Islam and other contexts.

Timed to coincide with Chicago Artists Month, the event opened as part of the annual PilsenEast Artist's Open House weekend. 'Desire No Shackles/ Imagine No Borders' ran September 29 – October 1 at 1823 S Halsted, Chicago. The complete collection of art works will be presented at d'Last Studios and Gallery at 1714 S Ashland, Chicago, where it will run between October 7 and November 11.

Featured artists: Amir Normandi, Maryam Hashemi, Marcia Middleton Kaplan, Tim Arroyo, Diane Carriere, Rosy Torres.

For more information on the events and the artists, follow the link:
http://noshackles.blogspot.com/

Please help us strike a blow to censorship and promote freedom of expression and artistic integrity by posting this event on your blog.

Kind Regards,

Diane Carrière
http://artsfordemocracy.blogspot.com/

So now with my self gratification I hope that it takes to the blogs like fire!
Thank you Diane!

Yes I do moderate it keeps the fool level down to a roar. Let them express themselves at CNN. I don’t watch it. After all they are the left wing nuts that want this censorship so now the loons are being censored HERE! ^..^

4 comments:

atheling2 said...

I don't consider it censorship to ban stupid trolls. Your blog is your home and if trolls decide to invade you have every right to kick them out!

Indigo Red said...

Okay, I've forgotten - is painting the self gratification that can make one go blind or the one that causes hair to grow on the palms of the hands?

dcat said...

:D Indigo,
Well isn't that what CNN has been doing with all of their left wing nuts!?

They sure are good at jacking off!

D.C. said...

Hi Dcat,

Thanks for putting this up, Dcat, that is very kind of you. Wish you were here!
Chicago is windy and cold but those blues club are hot!!

True, it is your blog, no need to suffer loons and goons of the mad left.