Saturday, January 27, 2024

A Very Old Recipe

 1810...

Wow, this was different!  I have been watching a couple from St. Jen.  She cooks over a fireplace.  No talking just her making these dishes.  It's very primitive, and it catches my attention.

I decided to try this one receipt.  That is what they called recipes back then.  Sorghum?  What the hell is that?  I must have read it in a story way back, but overlooked it as syrup or honey.  Didn't think you could get it anywhere.  But I did!

This is a fairly easy receipt.  Flour salt water yeast and sorghum.  You have to eyeball it too!  Baking was another guess.  I did mine at 350 for 10 min. checking it and then another 5.  

I'm not fond of stuffed breads.  This was to be an exception.  It was ok, but I think I rather have the bread with no stuffing.  Next time...  till I use up the sorghum.  

I used what she did.  Mushrooms.  That too was the other receipt.  All this was a side dish to the steaks she cooked in the hearth, on coal's.  She has all these old iron trivets.  It's very interesting, how people cooked and what they ate back when.  Very filling!  



No comments: